Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Bloody Ban

As Banastre Tarleton had his intended "shaking of hands" with Lauzun and his legion in the Battle of the Hook, I decided that I had to encorporate his British Legion cavalry into my troops next. So I bought the required quantity of figures from Perry miniatures. At first I was a bit disappointed that the excellent figures lacked some details. The feather in Ban's cap I created with Milliput, and the carbines I got from Front Rank. Later I was informed by Alan Perry that the British Legion dragoons were not equipped with carbines. Too late! Mine were already furnished with carbines. As I knew some other British Legion cavalry figures with these weapons I decided not t alter them. So they ride as fully equipped dragoons.








Sunday, 28 December 2008

Régiment de Gâtinois

My next project was a unit of French infantry.

I chose the régiment de Gâtinois (or Gâtinais) that had so distinguished themselves in storming redoubt 9 at Yorktown that they were given the name "Royal Auvergne" in 1783. A proper elite regiment they must have been.

As the regiment had about 1000 men, it was quite some job painting them (1:20).



The chef du régiment on horseback originally was a Hessian general (by Perry), the other figures are Front Rank.


The colours were painted on thin lead sheet from old bottle caps (it is good never to throw anything away you might find useful some day (but please don't have a look at my cellar).

Saturday, 27 December 2008

The French are coming

Then I started with my French troops.

I began with one of the most colourful units in the American theatre - the hussars and lancers of the Volontaires Etrangers de Lauzun, also known as "Lauzun's Legion". Unfortunately I did not know any producer who had them in his programme; only the Old Glory figures, and those didn't suit my taste of figures.

So I turned to using SYW hussars by Front Rank. The "chef de la troupe" was converted from a Prussian hussar officer in fur cap. It wasn't too difficult: I just had to minimise his moustaches and add his typical black and white crest, which was achieved by drilling a hole in his hat, and inserting a wire I had formed into the right form by soldering. The rest was paintig.

Voila, may I introduce you to his Highness, Armand Louis de Gontaut, Duc de Lauzun.

He is wearing one of his six uniforms he took with him to America, the one in which he attended the surrender ceremony at Yorltown.

I chose this one because it is the most splendid which well fits this extravagant man.










His cavalry was more of a problem. I took the SYW French hussars by Front Rank and equipped half of them with lances. I was not too much bothered by the fact that they are wearing pelisses. I decided that in my regiment of hussars and lancers they had simply not yet been lost (or sold).










"Attaquè!" (Bloody Ban and his British Legion dragoons have just been sighted.)

Thursday, 25 December 2008

How it all began

At the beginning of 2008 I watched three fellow collectors trying their newly developed wargaming rules. I was fascinated. Especially the idea of transforming historical facts into simple rules that will allow a quick game, struck me. So I decided to join them, and they agreed!

As they featured the British respectively the American side of the American Revolutionary War I thought I should adopt the French troops.

But at first I began with some landscape modules: a stone bridge, a wooden bridge and a river. My idea was to complicate military operations by landscape obstacles. No longer pitched battles in a scarcely wooded plain.

I must say, I really enjoyed developing and building the landscape modules (I have always liked creative hobbies).

As material I used plywood, cardboard, filler and wall colours. This is the result of my stone bridge:
When the photo was taken I did not have any wargaming figures. So this surprise egg grenadier had to do.

Just to give an idea of the size of the bridge.







My next item was the wooden bridge:

It has a removable central part, so that it can be destroyed.

At that time the stream/river consisted only of the basic structure. I later added foam and marks of current.