Friday, 16 January 2009


I got the idea from a fellow blogger ( As I’ve made use of his idea - with some variations - I will here describe how I did my field-works.

First I made the bases from pieces of 3mm thin plywood that had once been parts of a crate for mandarin oranges. They were 7 cm wide, which set the measure for the length of the earthwork modules. I cut them into 5 cm broad stripes. The sloping edges I produced by tilting the table of my mechanical saw.

Then I bought two ledges, one with rectangular cross-section (1 by 2 cm), and one with triangular cross-section (2 by 2 cm), and cut them into 7 cm long pieces. The rectangular bits were provided with slits with the help of a carving knife, to produce the effect of boards later. The triangular cross-section of the ledge on the “outer” side of my earthwork produced the basis for a rather natural looking slope (at least that’s what I think).

The pieces were glued to the bases as indicated in the sketch.

Then I smeared the outer side of my earthworks with my special filler which consists of proper filler enriched with white glue and a greenish brown Umbra hue. The parts of the base which were still raw wood, were then painted in the same greenish brown colour.

At the rear side, match sticks were then glued against the “boards” to provide the upright poles of the parapet. Finally the “woodwork” was washed with a light brown tone to create a more “used wood” impression.

When the thing was dry I put glue on the earth parts and spread sand on it (the same mixture of sand from a sandpit and gravel from a path, which I use for my bases). Finished! No more embellishments necessary.

The “redoubts” were done similarly, but as bases I used styrene pieces that had been the base for pre-packed cut cheese (larger pieces of thin plywood would have been even better, I think). And on the outer edges I added some static grass.

Redoubt with added earthworks

1 comment:

ColCampbell50 said...

Very nicely done.