Friday, 10 August 2012

Forge de Campagne model 1770

When I discovered the Perry model of a French Napoleonic field forge in the internet I decided that my French artillery had to have one.

Perry Napoleonic Field Forge (FN 151)
Assembling the model proved quite a challenge to my poor eyes and fingers (I am 78). But the illustrated instructions were very helpful indeed.
Perry Instructions

Studying the sources (again on the internet), I realised that the beam for working the bellows was fixed on the side of the traverse:
The traverse from a Gribeauval illustration
The assembled model
This does make sense since the beam hangs diagonally between the centre of the back end of the bellows and the man standing beside the forge working them. So I didn't follow the instructive Perry picture for assembling the model in this detail.
Of course I had to adopt it to my period, i. e. the hussars had to go to the scrap box (a pity), and the man working the bellows had to become a 1780 artilleryman. A bit of carving, filing and sculpting had to be done, giving him a French field cap, a queue, a leather apron, and changing the length of his waistcoat.
And of course I lacked a blacksmith working at the anvil. As I couldn't find one I had to try sculpting. The result is not what you would call satisfying, but will have to suffice.
I added a sack of charcoal and a water bucket.  About the extra sack I am not sure, Perhaps the charcoal was kept in the box on the ground which for transport is put on the carriage in front of the furnace. But water is essential for quenching the hot iron.
I put the limber on an extra base, since the forge was normally unlimbered when working. The two haltered horses are casts which I was given by my wargaming pal Horst.
So the forge is now ready for repairs of the French artillery park.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back.
You have been missed.

Beste Grüße
Adrian

Anonymous said...

I actually lost my messaging capability on my old computer last year. Now I have a ne one and can post again.
But I usually just read and "geniess"

Your collection is indeed splendid.
Well done!

regards
Adrian