Thursday, 25 October 2012

British 3pdr galloper gun

Here it is, all Front Rank - with the exception of the slightly oversized ammunition boxes. I chose the smaller barrel (the model comes with two differently sized barrels), and declared it to be a 3pdr.

This galloper gun was used circa 1740 in the United states. It weighs 600 pounds.

And this is how a galloper gun was moved by Hessian artillerymen
Well, at second look the carriage looked a bit too sturdy for a light galloper. I could have exchanged the wheels of course. There are spare wheels without the iron clamps which look a bit lighter. But I had already assemled and painted the thing. So I left it as it was.
As you can see clearly in the above picture, I put the crew on extra bases which are inserted into the main base (with the help of magnetic tape). So I can remove casualties.
rear view
front view
On the base I added an enemy cannon ball buried in the mud, as you can see in this picture.
The officer had no sword. Probably left it behind in Britain. So he got a new one, made of flattened brass wire.

Note:
Meanwhile I have found out that I made two mistakes in painting my figures:
1) The turnbacks were red, only became white after 1780.
2) The ammunition pouches were of white leather (not black as I painted them).


1 comment:

William Brewer said...

I love the picture of the Hess-Hanau Artillery crew rushing an Amusette into action. Who owns the rights to this artwork? Our local Sons of the American Revolution chapter has a 2 pounder cannon ball from the Saratoga Battlefield that probably came from a cannon like that.