Saturday, 24 May 2014

Continental Marines 1776

Marine uniform of 1775 (on board the half gaiters would not be worn)
(Illustration form "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of the American War of Independence", p. 238)
My marines are intended to serve on any of my American ships built so far. They are Front Rank miniatures, 10 soldiers, 1 drummer, and 1 officer. Later I will perhaps fill up the unit and add an ensign. The uniforms I painted, are those of 1776, i.e. white facings on a moss green coat. In 1779 the facings were changed to red, the lining of the coat remaining white.
The figures are singly based, and the bases painted in a sand color, so I can use them ashore and on the planks of a vessel.
Three companies of marines

Officer and drummer

Sergeant and privates

1 comment:

Simmy said...

Hello Friedericus,
Congratulations for your blog beautiful and interesting.
I am also a fan of the American War of Independence.
Beautiful Marines!
Greetings and see you soon
Simone
------
Ciao Friedericus,
Complimenti per il blog bello e interessante.
Anch'io sono un appassionato della guerra d'indipendenza americana.
Bellissimi i marines!
Un saluto e a presto
Simone