Friday, 5 August 2016

The Redoubt

 
For a long time I had wanted to build a small earthen fortification that could be used on the table. My friend Horst and me agreed that a fort or redoubt should be built in a modular form. So I started planning. First I drew a sketch of the cross-section of the wall.
cross-section of the wall and ditch
The figures are in millimetres, but I changed the measures slightly later because I used 30mm thick polystyrene foam sheets to build up the wall in two layers.
I started with three straight sections of the wall, using 4mm plywood as a base and for the sides and the buld-up of the parapet. The front of the wall was then smeared with an olive-green coloured filler. And I then continued with four rectangular corners, a door section, and a section with a gun emplacement. The abatis palisades I added after everything had dried. They were cut from small sticks of oakwood I had collected sometime in the past (you never know what things like this can be used for, just keep them in your cellar).
The fort before the final finish, arranged as a simple redoubt shape and without stairs
The gun emplacement under construction (equipped with a British 6-pounder by Pipe-and-Drum)
The door section with Anspach grenadiers (figures by Warlord Games)
The outsides of the walls were then covered with static grass (from a model railroad shop).
The finished gun emplacement with British gunners (Warlord Games figures)
I can now use these moduls for a simple square redoubt, a redoubt with a gun emplacement (like Redoubt 10 at Yorktown), or as a small fort, or as the cicumvallation of a blockhouse.Here follows the photo shooting of the finished fortification:
The redoubt with a wet ditch (made of printed cardboard and plywood borders),
here the stairs in the corners are added

This is what the corner stairs look like
The entrance to the redoubt with removable bridge
Redoubt with gun empacement and a 18-pounder naval gun
A small fort consisting of a blockhouse with cicumvallation
The flèche guarding the entrance, with chevaux de frise,
made of rocket sticks (collected on New Years Day) and toothpicks
Seen from the interior
I wonder who will dare to attack this fortification. However, Redoubt No. 10 at Yorktown was taken by the Amaricans in a surprise night attack. It had a dry ditch though.

3 comments:

Pierre le Poilu said...

Very impressive. What are the dimensions of the work?

Fridericus said...

Thank you, Pierre. The ruler in the second picture shows that the square of the redoubt (without ditch) is 41 cm by 41 cm. The figures in the photographs are 28mm (Pipe & Drum) and 30mm (Warlord Games). I hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely brilliant!

Adrian